Animal portraits are a definite favorite of mine. Capturing the spirit of so many furry (and some not-so-furry) friends is always a joy.
Scroll through this gallery to see example works, a size comparison chart, and all of the background paper color options. Then use the form below to inquire about a commission of your own!
If you're looking for a combination animal + human portrait, please see the page regarding combo portraiture here.
setting up the
I work from reference photos that you supply. If desired, I can combine several pictures to establish a composition. I will get your approval on the rough composition prior to beginning the actual drawing.
I use Sennelier oil pastels to draw all of my animal portraits on Strathmore drawing paper. This is my absolute favorite medium for drawing animals––the tools I use create a lot of texture within the drawing.
cutting out with an
I use an x-acto blade to cut out the animals, careful to add texture where it applies (fur). After it's fully removed from the drawing paper I will do my final touchups with oil pastel.
I currently offer five different colors of cardstock: black, white, cool gray, warm cream, and hazelnut.
If you want to wait to decide, I will send you images of the animal(s) against each option for you to review.
sending off the
With your final approval and decision on a background color, the work will be sprayed with an oil pastel fixative, mounted on cardstock, signed, and carefully packed up to head your way!
The commissioning process:
1. Submit this price quote request form with as much information as possible.
2. I will get back to you with a price quote based on the information you've provided. If I need more information we can work out the details via email or can schedule a Zoom call to discuss your request.
3. Once we've settled on all of the details, I will email you a Square invoice. I request a 50% deposit to secure the commission, and the other 50% upon completion (both laid out in the one invoice you will receive).
4. I will recreate your animal(s) in oil pastel, contacting you if I encounter any questions along the way.
5. Once I've finished the drawing and cut out the animal(s), I will send you an image for your review. If you haven't chosen your cardstock color ahead of time then you will receive images of how the animal(s) look against all of the different background color options (not applicable for "full-context" works).
6. If everything looks good to you, I'll go ahead and apply a fixative to the oil pastel drawing, mount it on the chosen cardstock, sign and date the work, and send you the final image.
7. Once you have paid the remaining 50% balance, I will pack up the work and ship it off (or we can schedule a local pickup/delivery).
Price Estimates Table
The prices listed above are general guidelines and may fluctuate depending on the complexity of your request, hence the price ranges. For example: hardwood is easier to draw than a complicated carpet pattern. Please submit the price quote form above for a more precise quote!
I am happy to discuss the possibility of a custom work with you!
Use the quote request form above, filling out as much information as you can, to get the conversation started.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out; I'm here to help!